I have been working in freelance writing and editing for nearly 5 years. In progressively more responsible roles that build on my Ivy League English degree I have taken on a variety of positions in the field of writing and editing. In particular, I specialize in writing about books.
How I’m unique as a Freelance Writer, Editor, and Communications Strategist:
Freelance Writing Experience
- Specialization in Reader’s Advisory and topics relating to books, reading, and readers. Progressively more prestigious positions, including working at Book Riot and EBSCO NoveList. Established Freelance Book Reviewer for Kirkus Reviews.
- Write promotional marketing copy, such as taglines, book descriptions, and author bios, for a major New York publisher as a freelancer for Kirkus Media.
Writing Experience Highlights
- Copywriter, Kirkus Media, LLC. 2015–Present
- Contributing Writer, BookRiot.com. 2015–Present
- Contributing Writer/Feature Writer, EBSCO NovelList. 2015–Present
- Freelance Book Reviewer, Psych Central. 2015–Present
- Study Guide/Reading Guide Writer, BookRags, Inc. 2014–Present
- Freelance Book Reviewer, Kirkus Reviews. 2014–Present
Freelance Editing Experience
- Copyeditor and Proofreader at Kirkus Media, where I copyedit manuscripts of novels at the line editing, copyediting, proofreading, and cold read capacity. I also proofread copywriting of other writers as well as write promotional copy myself.
- Several editorial jobs including Admissions Essay Consultation for International Students, Copyediting for Training Courses at Edcomm Banker’s Academy, and Study Guide Editing for BookRags, a position I was promoted to in under 6 months.
- Instructional writing experience assisting students with constructing research papers at Columbia University’s Graduate Program in Strategic Communications.
Editing Experience Highlights
- Proofreader, Kirkus Media, LLC. 2016–Present
- Copyeditor, Kirkus Media, LLC. 2015–Present
- Editor, BookRags, Inc. 2015–Present
- Essay Editor, MyDocumate. 2014
- Teaching Assistant: “The Critical Mind,” Columbia University. 2012
- Course Content Copyeditor, Edcomm Banker’s Academy. 2012
Ivy League English Background
- Versatile freelance writer and editor with extensive educational background in English from the University of Pennsylvania where I studied narrative journalism, literary nonfiction writing, experimental writing, research methodology, and rigorous literary analysis. Recipient of a University-funded research grant to travel to England and Scotland and conduct independent, original research on the Isle of Skye, in London, and at the University of Sussex. Presented findings to prospective students in a “60-Second Lecture.”
- Master of Library and Information Science, Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Expected Graduation: 2016
- Bachelor of Arts in English, cum laude, University of Pennsylvania, 2011. GPA in-major: 3.79/4.00. Concentrations in Creative Writing (focus on journalism and nonfiction) and 18th & 19th century British Literature
Freelance Writing & Editing Services I Offer Include…
- Marketing copy for authors and publishers
- Content strategy consulting for authors, publishers, and bloggers
- Blogging and guest blogging/guest columnist
- Admissions essay editing and consultation
- Beta Reading
- Manuscript editing/Peer review
- Resume & cover letter writing
- [Fill in the blank with your needs]
Want to Work with Me?
Email me at sarahsdaviswrites (at) gmail (dot) com