My career objective in one sentence:
“Act as an ambassador to the reading community by consulting with libraries, authors, and publishers on communications, social media, and marketing strategies to reach readers.”
How do I plan on doing it? By combining my extensive and diverse experience in freelance writing and editing with my practical experience working in libraries.
How I’m unique as a Library and Information Science Professional currently enrolled in a Master of Library and Information Science program at Clarion University:
Research Library Experience
- Immersive, hands-on internship experience as a trusted member of the Research and Instruction (Reference) division of the University of Pennsylvania’s Van Pelt Library. Tasked with responsibilities ranging from conducting Reference Interview to troubleshooting printing and computing problems.
- While at Van Pelt, I offered research consultation over the phone, in person, and through virtual chat acting as the first representative of the reference department. A supportive team-player, I served the university’s student, faculty, and staff as a promoter of the library’s reference services, including providing referrals to subject specialists, course liaisons, instructional workshops, and the weekly “Research Happy Hour.”
- Van Pelt’s Academic Research Library experience trained me to be a versatile research ambassador with advanced searching techniques in databases such as JSTOR, EBSCO MegaFILE, Factiva, LexisNexis Academic, ProQuest, ERIC, Web of Science, MEDLINE/PubMed, Google Scholar, and more.
- Recently I have applied my reference experience to the startup Wonder Lib, a reference service in which skilled researchers like me answer reference questions with custom, curated links and topic overviews. I have compiled research reports and summaries about career profiles and industry reports, market research, history primary and secondary source collections, biology definitions and terminology, and education ideas and inspiration for applying new technology in the classroom.
Reference, Academic Library, and Research Instruction Experience Highlights
- Researcher, Wonder Lib. Virtual. 2015-Present
- Reference and Emerging Technology Intern, Van Pelt Library at the University of Pennsylvania. 2014
- Teaching Assistant: “The Critical Mind,” Columbia University. 2012
Public Library Experience
- Internship at Swarthmore Public Library provided a comprehensive look at daily public library tasks and environment. Responsible for circulation desk assistance, collection upkeep through shelving and weeding, processing new items, and organizing holds.
- Created and ran new story hour program for children as well as helped out at special events and programs for children and young adults.
- Currently a shelf maintenance and circulation volunteer
Public Library Experience Highlights…
- Volunteer Shelving & Circulation, Swarthmore Public Library. 2015–Present
- Summer Intern, Swarthmore Public Library. 2010
Special Library Experience
- Content Strategy and Digital Librarian Intern at In The Stacks, a digital library compiling video, podcast, and text book reviews by librarians. As a content strategy intern, I work on In the Stacks’ social media presence, provide guidance on the direction of content development across multiple platforms to reach readers and librarians, and assist with editorial tasks related to In the Stacks’ publishing imprint, including creating a marketing plan from scratch and proofreading and editing.
Professional Reader Experience
- Contributor at BookRiot.com, a site specializing in feature stories and personal essays related to reading, books, readers, and libraries.
- Contributing writer at EBSCO NoveList, a unique service used by countless libraries worldwide for thoughtful and comprehensive reader’s advisory purposes. I write descriptions and recommendations within the database itself.
- Founder and Group Organizer for “Delco Cult Classics Book Club”(formerly on Meetup.com. Now organized independently by me)
- Professional Reader regularly given Advanced Review Copies from Netgalley and Edelweiss Above The Treeline
Professional Reader Highlights…
- Contributor, BookRiot.com. 2015–Present
- Writer, EBSCO NovelList. 2015–Present
- Editorial Director, Founder, and Writer, BrokeByBooks.com. 2015–Present
- Professional Reader title through Netgalley and Edelweiss Above the Treeline. 2014–Present
- Founder and Group Organizer, “Delco Cult Classics Book Club.” 2014–Present
Freelance Library and Information Science Services I Offer Include…
- Home library organization and cataloging: See this Flickr album for a photographed example of how I organize my own shelves and this post about creative ways to think about organizing your shelves
- Digital libraries: Organization of online repositories, data entry, metadata management, usability testing, market research
- Research: Strategies for research, acting as an independent researcher or researcher on call, instruction on research literacy, research compilation, web researcher on call
- Social media management for libraries and authors: Content creation, content strategizing, market research, day-to-day monitoring of social media platform, and branding strategies
- Reader’s advisory services: Book club consultation, reader’s advisory strategies/events/campaigns, copyediting and proofreading, read-a-like lists, creation of customized reading guides and discussion questions
- [Insert your desired services here]
Want to Work With Me?
Write me at sarahsdaviswrites (at) gmail (dot) com